7 Best Foods for Women

by Jennifer on May 13, 2010

Cooking Light recently emailed me an article about the 7 best foods for Women. It was a great and very informative article so I’ve decided to share!

Tomatoes
Research suggests that lycopene-rich foods, like tomatoes, may help ward off breast and cervical cancers, and oil-based tomato products may help fight cardiovascular disease!

Flaxseed
Try to eat 1-2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed per day, because studies show this omega-3 packed food can lower LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol)! (Warning: Talk to your doctor first if you are pregnant).

Kale
Packed with antioxidants, and vitamin K, eating this helps build bones and lowers your rick of fractures and bone disease!

Salmon
This omega 3 filled fish makes an excellent choice as it fights heart disease, helps beat post-partum depression in pregnancy, and helps the brain and nervous system!

Cranberry Juice
Cranberry Juice is packed with antioxidants and help prevent or ward off UTI’s!

Greek Yogurt
This tasty treat is packed with protein, but without all of the sugar. Protein helps weight loss, muscle maintenance and promotes healthier aging!

Walnuts
Ward off breast cancer and osteoporosis by munching on 20 halves of these daily!

What is your favorite power food and why?

1 Amy B @ Second City Randomness
Twitter: AMYSRANDOMNESS
May 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I throw flax into a lot of stuff pretty regularly… but as a fair warning- introduce it slowly! I used it for a while and then stopped and then used it again… um. No bueno. :p Baby steps, people!!!

2 Barbara
Twitter: barbara_dilisio
May 13, 2010 at 9:28 pm

I eat almost everything on the list on a regular basis. My boyfriend makes a fantastic soup with lots of kale and other veggies. I should give you the recipe.

3 Jennifer May 14, 2010 at 12:14 am

Yes you should! :)

4 suki
Twitter: suki
May 13, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Avocados!

In terms of salmon, you have to be very careful. Farmed salmon doesn’t have the same Omega-3s that are good for you. I think some, depending on what they are fed, actually contain Omega-6s which are harmful to you. I only know about this stuff because my bf is obsessed with fish.

5 suki
Twitter: suki
May 13, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Oh, I forgot to include why. Avocado is known to promote healthy skin and hair!

6 Crystal May 14, 2010 at 1:18 am

I have only had kale twice. Once was during this past Thanksgiving, and then once last weekend when we went to a vegetarian restaurant. It was so good and I am definitely going to start buying it to make at home.

7 Annie May 14, 2010 at 2:06 am

I’ve heard that about cranberry juice!
This is a great list. :)

8 Danielle (Coffee Run) May 14, 2010 at 2:07 am

I’m 4/7, woohoo :D
My favorite powerfood is sweet potatoes! They’re packing antioxidants, vitamin A (good for your eyesight, collagen synthesis, cell differentiation, oh man I just had a test on this so I could go on forever! lol)

9 Jessica May 14, 2010 at 4:28 am

I love blueberries. I literally eat them with a spoon in summer. They taste amazing.

10 Jessie May May 14, 2010 at 5:49 am

This is such a great list! Did you know that cranberry juice helps reduce cellulite – among many other benefits? I drink unsweetened cranberry juice in my water everyday. I fill my Nalgene with 4 oz cranberry juice and the rest water.

11 Gabriela May 14, 2010 at 11:59 am

I love most of the foods on this list, but especially tomatoes, walnuts and salmon! Thanks for the info!

12 Christina May 14, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Those are all of my favorite foods, except for cranberry juice. I’m not a juice person!

13 katie May 14, 2010 at 6:44 pm

HEY GIRL!!!
thank you soo much for your SWEET and encouraging comment! ahhh i really appreciate it!!
i LOVE all these foods!!! ESP. the salmon and greek yogurt! yumm!