Superfood Special: Apples

by Jennifer on May 26, 2010

“An apple a day keeps the doctor away!” This old proverb may in fact be correct. Apples contain Vitamin C, Fiber, Potassium (which can prevent fluid retention), and virtually no fat. Studies have shown that people who eat apples have less abdominal fat, smaller waist lines, lower blood pressure, and less “bad” cholesterol. Eating apples may protect against Alzheimer’s disease and colon cancer (RIP Audrey Hepburn xoxo).

Be sure that you keep your apples stored in a cool dark place, in a bag with holes in it (like the drawer in your fridge). Keeping apples in a light or warm place allows them to lose their vitamin C content. Be sure to leave the skin on it! The skin contains the majority of the good stuff (up to 5x more than the inside).

Cut your apple up for later and don’t want it to brown? Put the cut slices into a bowl with 1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice mixed with water and save for later! :)

Do you eat apples? Have any good apple recipes?

**Be sure to check out all of the full series of Super Food Special’s to help you make the best decisions at the grocery store!

1 Lindsey @ Cardiopizza May 26, 2010 at 11:24 am

I love apples! My favorite are green apples. I like including apples in chicken salad..yum! :)

2 hbobier @ Basil Vodka May 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm

“Be sure that you keep your apples stored in a cool dark place.” By that do you mean in a wire bowl on my kitchen table? Because that’s where my apples live. I probably should shield them from the sun a bit, but it’s easy to grab one as an after dinner dessert if they’re already on the table…

And yes. I am an apple enthusiast. Best recipe? Slice and eat. :)

3 Gabriela May 26, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Apples are my favorite fruit!! I love honeycrisp the most…they’re one of my favorite things about fall! They’re especially awesome with PB :)

4 highonhealthy May 26, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I adore apples and I eat them every.single.day. Two is my minimum. I’ve even gone a day where that’s all I’ve eaten. Maybe not the BEST thing to do but sometimes when I get insane apple cravings, I just follow through with it. My favorite way to eat them is in their whole, natural form. <3

5 katie May 26, 2010 at 3:49 pm

IM EATING AN APPLE RIGHT NOW!! its fate :)

6 Barbara
Twitter: barbara_dilisio
May 26, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I almost always have apples in the house. My boyfriend usually eats either an apple or banana in the morning for breakfast.

7 Katie May 26, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I used to eat apples everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love them! Lately though I have not had them!!!!! I need to put them in my life again!!!!!!

8 Crystal May 26, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Apples are definitely a staple food for me! Gala apples are my favorite. I pretty much love them just as they are, with no recipe. :) Although I have made an interesting concoction of apples, ketchup, and beans. I promise it tasted better than it sounds! I made it right after I decided to be a vegetarian and was googling recipes.

9 Jessica May 26, 2010 at 10:36 pm

No joke, I have an apple four days a week with my lunch. I love the crisp cold taste. SO refreshing. I always enjoy a nice apple dessert too, tart, pie, etc.

10 Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries May 27, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I love just microwaving an apple and cinnamon and putting it on top of vanilla ice cream!!