Jump On It’

by Jennifer on July 10, 2010

Plyometrics that is! :) According to Wikipedia it is, “a type of exercise training designed to produce fast, powerful movements, and improve the functions of the nervous system, generally for the purpose of improving performance in sports.” Ploymetrics is a GREAT way to get a high intensity cardio workout in while improving strength and endurance. Typical moves include jumps, hops, and bounds! Don’t just listen to me, even the American Council of Exercise recommends it (when done properly).

Safety is a big concern in Plyometrics, and this is not for beginners, so please follow the follow tips to avoid injury:

• Warm up.
  • Incorporate rest time into your schedule.
  • Use soft or cushioned surfaces only.
  • Start slowly and build up.
  • Land softly and balanced.
  • Stop if you feel any pain.
  • Wear cushioned footwear.
  • Cool down thoroughly.

Want to see it in action? Check out:

Have you ever tried Plyometrics? What do you think?

1 highonhealthy July 10, 2010 at 9:22 am

I’ve tried plyometrics and while it is usually extremely challenging, I think it’s a fantastic workout. Anything that makes me hate it at first is generally something that’s kicking my booty and plyometrics is one of those things.

2 Crystal July 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm

I didn’t even know what it was until I googled it a few days ago, haha. It is definitely challenging and I kind of hate it, haha.

3 Christine July 10, 2010 at 12:24 pm

Wow, I have never heard of this before. I’d love to try something new. I’ll have to see if they have classes or something around here. I’d like to learn how to do it with someone else!

4 Monique@She's Going The Distance
Twitter: monique_m07
July 10, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Don’t think I’ve ever tried before, but it looks interesting!! :) Thanks for the great advice lady, as always :)

5 Laury @thefitnessdish
Twitter: lauryannraik
July 10, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Whoooo Hooo..Plyo is the BEST!!! I LOVED doing these drills with my athletes way back when ;-)

Lateral bounding is one of my favs!!! You are awesome, great post & awesome tips as ALWAYS!!

6 Alycia @ Fit n Fresh July 10, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I used to take a Plyo-Strength class when it was offered at my University gym – I loveeeed it! Burpees are probably my favorite (and most hated) plyo move haha

Think you could throw together a plyo workout for us? I’d love you forever (:

7 Angela (the diet book junkie) July 10, 2010 at 10:53 pm

cool! this is new to me too, but it looks like a great workout. my glutes could use some assistance :)

8 Nicole @ Making Good Choices
Twitter: nicoleculver
July 11, 2010 at 8:31 am

I love plyos! I try to do them at least once a week. I love how they get my heart rate really going.

9 Alex @ IEatAsphalt July 11, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I would really like to try plyometrics but am nervous about how my ankle would hold up. Plus, there just isn’t a great area to attempt anything at my gym.