Make Money Getting in Shape!

by Jennifer on August 11, 2010

As if getting in shape isn’t rewarding enough, you can make a career out of it! At BlogHer, the beautiful and talented Kelly said something that really stuck “I love my life! I get paid to do what I love: workout and be healthy”. I started really thinking about ways I could do the same (or ways I am doing the same) and thought I would throw it out there to any of you who were interested. So, here are some ideas to make money and while getting (or keeping) a slammin’ body! (Photo source)

Become a BeachBody Coach: While it does cost $39.95 for your business kit, and $14.95 per month to stay active,  as long as you are a coach you get an awesome discount on any of their products (P90x, Insanity, Shakeology, TurboFire, etc), and you get a commission off what you (and everyone on your team) sells. Click here to sign up, or email me for details as I am one!

Become a Certified Personal Trainer: A certificate is needed and prices can vary. I recommend getting one from ISSA, ACE, NASM, or AFAA as these are all reputable names. I got mine through the ISSA for around $600 but you can earn the money back by taking on clients around your schedule in their homes, or by working in a gym.

Become a Group Fitness Instructor: This can range from a generic exercise instructor to something more specific like Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, etc. If you like working with a group of people and motivating others, this could be the path for you! Again, you can get this from various places but I suggest ACE or AFAA .

What tips do you have for making money and getting in shape?

1 Beth @ Will Run for Books August 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm

I wish I could get paid to exercise! :) (even though I do enjoy my 9-5). I really like the layout of your blog, too. How did you do it? (I’m new to blogging)

2 Jennifer August 11, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Just emailed you the details! :)

3 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 11, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Good post! I am a spin instructor and group fitness instructor, and in my opinion it’s one of the best jobs ever!! It’s so inspiring to motivate people to reach their fitness goals AND get a fantastic grimy sweat on at the same time! :)

4 Marlon @MeInTheBalance August 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Thanks for sharing this info. I’m currently a jr. high teacher but I’ve been interested in supplementing my income by becoming a certified personal trainer. I look into it more. Are you a Beachbody coach? I’ve been approached by a coach to join her team but I haven’t taken the plunge yet.

5 Jennifer August 11, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I just emailed you! :)

6 Jennifer August 11, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Yup I plan on fulfilling dream when I become a certified fitness instructor in September. I can’t wait!

7 Alycia @ Fit n Fresh August 11, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Love your new layout babe! I think this one is my favorite so far :) Awesome money making strategies as well – can’t wait to see you at HLS!

8 Angela (the diet book junkie) August 11, 2010 at 7:43 pm

i thought about becoming a certified personal trainer, but then i didn’t know if i wanted to train at 6am every day :) haha….guess i like sleeping a little more than running. i give mad props to anyone who can though! you guys kick azz!

9 Christina August 11, 2010 at 8:09 pm

I’ve always wanted to be a group fitness instructor but I’m too scared I’ll be horrible!

10 GiGi August 12, 2010 at 9:23 pm

I wish I could get paid for exercising because I would totally be a billionaire by now!

11 Jenn August 22, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Just because of this post, I got incredibly interested in the aspect of becoming a personal trainer. It’s either that or a photographer and both are equally appealing jobs to me :) As long as they give me an income as well!

12 Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com
Twitter: FITori
August 22, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Working on my nutrition certs now! Great post!