Superfood Special: Squash

by Jennifer on August 23, 2010

butternut squashWith fall approaching already (can you believe it?!) I thought I would post about one of my favorite fall foods: Squash! Did you know these yummy veggies are related to cucumbers, pumpkins, and melons? Not to mention it is jam packed with fiber (will keep you full on less) AND is a great source of complex carbs. To get the most nutrients, aim for one that is very orange; this means it contains the most beta-cryptoxanthin which has been linked to preventing lung cancer! This natural anti-inflammatory is also a great source of vitamins and minerals (C, E, calcium, iron, and magnesium), and has been known to reduce the risk of colon and prostate cancer, astma, and arthritis. (Photo source)

My favorite squash dish is Butternut Bisque! What is yours?

**Be sure to check out all of the full series of Super Food Special’s to help you make the best decisions at the grocery store!

1 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope August 23, 2010 at 6:52 am

I love all squash, but especially acorn. I like to cut it in half, scrape out the seeds, and then cover it in olive oil, huge chunks of garlic, pepper, and a little bit of brown sugar or cinnamon, then roast it. sooo yummy.

2 Mark August 23, 2010 at 6:58 am

I tried butternut squash for the first time a couple of weeks back. It was “ok”, but I had no idea it was that good for you. Perhaps I’ll try to eat it more often. I don’t mind eating things I don’t like, just as long as there is some kind of health benefit :)

3 Layla
Twitter: wishfullayla
August 23, 2010 at 7:03 am

I LOVE squash. Acorn squash, baked with butter and brown sugar, is my favorite.

4 Heather
Twitter: heatherannlewis
August 23, 2010 at 8:02 am

I love love LOVE squash! I always buy zucchini and yellow squash, cut them up, sauté them with some olive oil and pepper, put them in a bowl, and mix in some feta cheese. I eat it almost every day. I should try different kinds, though, hahah.

5 Amy B @ Second City Randomness
Twitter: AMYSRANDOMNESS
August 23, 2010 at 8:48 am

I really want to try spaghetti squash this fall… I’ve been seeing it pop up more and more in the stores and have yet to attempt it!

6 Becky August 23, 2010 at 9:03 am

I love roasting squash in the fall. This is making me long for those crisp fall days!

7 Robyn @ Wannabe Writer Runner
Twitter: robynrosstvg
August 23, 2010 at 9:06 am

I love spaghetti squash! It’s so easy to make and 1 squash yields so many portions. I’ve never tried making any other kind of squash though.

8 Nichole August 23, 2010 at 9:12 am

That’s it. I’m going to have to get my grandmother to quit frying this beautiful veggie.

9 highonhealthy August 23, 2010 at 10:39 am

I’ve actually never liked squash but I’ve been thinking about trying it again because my tastebuds have changed so much and I have a feeling I’ll enjoy eating it now.
Who knew that it was related to melons though?! That’s cool but I definitely never would have thought that it was.

10 Tracy August 23, 2010 at 10:56 am

My favorite is the “Buttercup” Squash roasted! Yummy! I posted an award today for you on my blog! Your site is so informational and inspirational, thank you! I truly enjoy reading. ~Take Care

11 Liz August 23, 2010 at 11:14 am

Squash is one of the reasons I love fall. I love roasted b’nut squash!

12 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 23, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I absolutely adore squash as well – my hands have actually turned orange from eating so much of it (well, that and carrots). Obsessed much!? Nevermind though… I think my favourite thing to do with it is roast it in the oven with other root veggies. It’s just so good on it’s own! If I have a bit more patience, I like to make it into soup as well. So comforting! :)

13 Laury @thefitnessdish
Twitter: lauryannraik
August 23, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I LOVE squash!!! Can’t wait for winter squash…my favorite is triple squash soup!

14 Bonni August 23, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Found your blog through Blogfrog! Am now following! Please check out my blog!

15 Jennifer August 25, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Yayy for new friends from blogfrog! I am checking out yours right now! :)

16 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self August 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm

I love all kinds of winter squash. Last year I made some stuffed acorn squash dish with couscous and dried apricots. It was delicious! Can’t wait to make it again.

17 Melissa August 23, 2010 at 5:25 pm

I love butternut squash fries!!! I want to try a spaghetti squash but I can’t ever seem to find them!!

18 Christina August 23, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I love squash! My favorite is roasted butternut with cinnamon .

19 Emily
Twitter: eda062
August 23, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I just stumbled upon your blog and I love it! I’ve been so excited that fall is on its way! Despite the fact that my boyfriend returns from Afghanistan at the beginning of November, I love cool mornings – perfect for running – and of course, fall sweaters :)

20 nicole @ Making Good Choices
Twitter: nicoleculver
August 23, 2010 at 7:55 pm

I love squash, especially in fry form, or any type of roasting. I’ll have to try making the bisque though, sounds so good!

21 Alycia [Fit n Fresh] August 23, 2010 at 8:01 pm

You know, I’ve never had butternut squash? I do love zucchini and yellow squash though so I’m sure this would be right up my alley!

22 Gracie August 23, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Love love LOVE butternut squash! It’s definitely one of my top 5 favorite veggies. I love roasting an entire squash simply with salt and cinnamon and just eating a whole bowl of it :P

23 Angela (the diet book junkie) August 23, 2010 at 8:30 pm

i love pumpkin! fell in love when i moved to Australia and found it on every restaurant menu. they put it everything: soups, sandwiches, pizza, pasta, salads, you name it. pumpkin pizza would have to be my favourite.

24 Alex @ IEatAsphalt August 23, 2010 at 9:47 pm

I love super simple oven-roasted butternut squash. It’s probably my favorite part about Thanksgiving. The only thing better in the fall is hot apple cider.

25 Lisa @ Endeavorous August 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Butternut squash risotto is my favorite…a bit of a project to make but sooo good and worth it. Bf and I make huge batches on weekends and then have lunch for the week.

26 Katie August 24, 2010 at 7:02 am

I LOVE squash but dont love the pain it is to cut and clean! lol!

I found last year at the grocery store, butternut squash already cut into chunks, hope to find that agin this year! Love it!

Hope your week is great!! Cant wait to see big change!!!!

27 Biz August 24, 2010 at 11:14 am

I didn’t even try butternut squash until a couple years ago! You might like my recipe:

28 Jennifer August 25, 2010 at 9:33 pm