I got a new car!!!

by Jennifer on October 3, 2010

After years of wishing I could buy a brand new car, I finally took the plunge yesterday and bought at 2010 VW Jetta Limited Edition!!

Look at my yummy, shiny new interior.

Don’t mind the weird angles, I was trying to avoid capturing the plates.

I have been grinning from ear to ear since the guy first handed me the keys and referred to it as “your car”. What happened to my cute little convertible you ask? The BF and I decided we would keep it as our summer fun-car, because they weren’t willing to give us what we wanted for it. We were actually both happy about it because it really is fun on a warm day to drive the country with the top down, so now we get the best of both worlds!

Looks like with this new hefty car payment I took on, I will need to start working on a budget and cut back on the shopping.

Do you have a car payment? Any tips for budgeting or getting used to having a big payment like this?

1 Cheryl
Twitter: inquiring_mind_
October 3, 2010 at 8:13 am

Congrats on the new car! And it’s a stick….how fun!

I use Mint.com to budget everything. It really helps you see where all your money is going and where you can cut back.

2 Nicole @ Making Good Choices
Twitter: nicoleculver
October 3, 2010 at 8:17 am

I have a pretty big car payment because I have a leased nissan murano. I try to just pay it first thing every month and i have a pretty strict budget I try to stick to. Although I haven’t been so good at it lately!

3 Layla
Twitter: wishfullayla
October 3, 2010 at 9:02 am

I love it! I just looked at Jettas and fell in love. I have a hefty car payment, because I didn’t know how to haggle when I bought my car, I really reallly wanted it and they knew it (ha!) and my credit wasn’t great, so I have a high interest rate. Now that I’ve improved the interest rate and the husband can haggle, I really want to trade it in for something with a lower car payment. After four years of it, I am starting to really wish that money was going to something else.
Congrats on the car! I love it!

4 Carrie A Groff
Twitter: carrieagroff
October 3, 2010 at 9:03 am

Hello and Congrats on your brand new car! It’s such a wonderful feeling driving away in your brand new car isn’t it?? :-) I’m not very good at budgeting..I have a $300 monthly payment for my car and all I do is just make sure I get it paid every month. You just have to watch how much you spend from now on to make sure you have the monthly payment covered. Enjoy your new car!

Stopping by from BlogFrog to follow your blog :-) Have a great day!

Carrie A Groff

5 Barbara
Twitter: barbara_dilisio
October 3, 2010 at 9:24 am

Jetted are really nice cars. Congrats! I sold my old car on Craigslist for 5x the amount the dealerships wanted to give me.

6 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies October 3, 2010 at 10:57 am

Love it!! Yayyy for a new car!

7 Samantha October 3, 2010 at 11:55 am

What a pretty new car! Congratulations! The first new car I bought on my own was a 2007 VW, and I’ve been very happy with the purchase. I hope you enjoy it. :)

My husband and I bought a new Tundra in December, and it is by far the most expensive payment we’ve had. We always pay our bills and ourselves (i.e. add to our savings) first each month to avoid overspending. We also have a budget sheet that we use to keep track of our monthly spending.

8 Laury @thefitnessdish
Twitter: lauryannraik
October 3, 2010 at 3:23 pm

LOVE IT!!!!!So beautiful!!!!! My in-laws all drive volkswagons, they are adorable!!! My car payment KILLS me! I have the Saab 9-7X (got an amazing deal right when the auto industry was plunging), and Michael has the 9-3..I bought mine, his is a lease, and I told him when the lease is up we need something really good on gas, with a great deal…we were thinking of looking into VW! I am the worst budget-er, LOL.

9 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic]
Twitter: suki
October 4, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Hooray for the new car! :) My car payment wasn’t too bad, but I did wait a year or so before just giving in and making a lump sum payment.

I use Mint.Com

10 Kelly Olexa October 4, 2010 at 8:14 pm

LOVE The car!!! I’ve had a car payment FOREVER and I am the WORST PERSON ON THE PLANET to ask about budget stuff…..so I’ll just say- CUTE CAR!! ;-) XO

11 Kristina @ spabettie
Twitter: spabettie
October 5, 2010 at 4:14 pm

SO awesome!! :) I LOVE a brand new car… and that’s awesome to keep your convertible for fun :D

12 Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com
Twitter: fitori
October 10, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I HATE having a car payment but my hubby loves new cars. I have a free company car and by FREE I mean -It’s free so I don’t give a $%*& what it’s like since it’s FREE!

My advice is just to enjoy how nice it is. Enjoy the luxury. Enjoy the reliability. Enjoy how it makes your life easier and more enjoyable and then have the payment autodrafted so you don’t notice it :)