Nerd Alert! Photoshop Actions

by Jennifer on October 7, 2010

With the new fancy camera Photoshop following it as the next necessity was a given, right? Keep in mind I have always been a Corel/Jasc Paint Shop Pro kind of gal, so this is a whole new world to me! I’ve decided to share what I learn as I go!

I decided to start with actions. An action is basically just a series of filters, alterations, and “steps” that are recorded and saved. This way when you want to do them all again, you can simply “press play” and all of those specific actions will take place to the image.

You can create your own or search for them online like I did (check my new photography page for links). Check out some of the ones I have been playing with below.

Here is the original:

And here are the actions:

Do you use Photoshop actions? What are some of your favorites? Any other Photoshop things I should learn asap or cover here?

Also let me know if you liked this random techy-post, or if you want me to shut up and stick to health and fitness! :)

1 Mark October 7, 2010 at 8:33 am

Techy-posts are fine with me! :)

I tend to avoid Photoshop because it is overly complex. I’m not a photographer so I rarely need to use it, but it is great software though.

2 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies October 7, 2010 at 9:58 am

What camera do you have? and I have fun with Photoshop…however I can’t afford it…but if I could find a good program with more options that iphoto gives you…I’d be so happy! haha

3 erics October 7, 2010 at 10:26 am

Those photos are really neat. I wish I had Photoshop. It looks really neat. Cute pictures. So pretty.

4 Lisa October 7, 2010 at 11:55 am

I really want to get photoshop too (so expensive)! I really want to learn how to make one thing colored in a black and white photo (if that makes any sense!)

5 Barbara
Twitter: barbara_dilisio
October 7, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I use actions all the time. They’re a great time saver

6 Kristina @ spabettie
Twitter: spabettie
October 7, 2010 at 6:33 pm

ah, yes, Corel & Paint girl here, too!! :D

I have NOT used photoshop recently; Jason and I were talking about getting it possibly.

YES to the techie post… I’d love to see what you learn !

7 Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com
Twitter: fitori
October 7, 2010 at 10:07 pm

I’m sooo bad about using the ones I have! Just too busy to play! I like the one you used in the bottom right!
My faves that I use for my blog pics are the vintage ones, some colored ones (I have one that changes my pics to dif colors like you did above) and then the ones that make my polaroid or crazy corners/frames!

8 Allison October 8, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I like your techy post! I am actually terrible with technology, so I’ll take whatever help I can get!
~Allison