How to do a squat properly

by Jennifer on January 5, 2011

Post image for How to do a squat properly

Hey everyone! :) That picture of me look familiar? It is a screen shot from my summertime 200-Tone Up Workout Video! Eek to the orangey-blonde hair that I was rockin’ back then lol! I will put together another workout video very soon, perhaps before I start my new in 2 weeks! ;)

Sorry I missed you all yesterday! The BF had a death in his family so my focus has been on being there for him. I may not return to normal posting & blog visiting until Thursday evening.

Today I am just going to quickly talk about squats since they are one of the top workouts for your legs and tush! I think fitness model Lindsay Messina does the best job explaining them and a few variations in this video below:

A few important form notes:

• Be sure you do not lock your knees when your legs are straight.
  • Knees should never be over the toes, they should be over your ankles.
  • Keep your back straight.
  • Breathe! :)

If you still have difficulty with squats the best tip I can give you is to actually put something down for you to “sit on”. For instance, I take a small weighted medicine ball and when I squat down I want my tush to touch it quickly and then come back up. This is a great practice for beginners or just to practice building great form.

Are you a fan of squats? What is your favorite/least favorite thing about them? What is your favorite tush & legs toning move?

1 Liz January 5, 2011 at 11:12 am

Hope you and your bf are OK – sorry for your loss :(
I wouldn’t say I “like” squats, but I usually include them in my routines because they are such a great workout. I like wall squats the best.

2 blackhuff January 5, 2011 at 11:16 am

Hi, I’m a new reader here at your blog. I got your link from 110 Pounds.
Sorry to read about your loss, prayers with you guys.
I love squats. I do them 4 times a week and I love how much they have transformed my legs. They also make my legs stronger and that I love so much.
Squats and lunges are my most favorite strength exercises.

3 Amy B @ Second City Randomness
Twitter: AMYSRANDOMNESS
January 5, 2011 at 11:17 am

I greatly dislike squats. And neglected them for the longest time. But now, most of my workout dvds are heavy in that area. I still dislike them, but they work soooo well! Especially with added weights. :)

4 Katie @ Health for the Whole Self January 5, 2011 at 11:28 am

Great tip about using the ball!

5 Cynthia January 5, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for the squat tips! That is the one exercise that I never feel like I am doing it quite right.

6 Katie January 5, 2011 at 12:31 pm

sorry to hear about your boyfriends loss in the family, send prayers to him : )

Love ya girl and I love squats, even though they suck to do!

7 Jim
Twitter: goingfitness
January 5, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for the tip on using something under the “tush”. I have problems doing squats and I’m going to find something to put down there to give me a quick assist. I never thought about doing it that way. It’s sorta like assisted pulls ups or dips….

Thanks!!!

8 Katy @ A Healthy Shot January 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Ugh I HATE squats, but I do think they’re super effective. I always feel the burn when I’m done, especially if I hold the last one for awhile! My favorite leg toning move is calf raises- I play tennis and I have always coveted toned calves on my favorite pros :)

9 Lisa
Twitter: lisaeirene
January 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm

LOVE squats! It really makes the burn great!

10 Nicole @ Making Good Choices
Twitter: nicoleculver
January 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I love squats and how easy they are to do, but I have a love/hate relationship with the burn they cause.

Return to blogging when you can, I’m sure your bf appreciates having you be there for him!

11 Alycia [Fit n Fresh] January 5, 2011 at 9:50 pm

I l ove squats – I hateeee lunges!! I am not a lunge girl though I sometimes make myself do them because admittedly, they do give great results lol

12 Lee
Twitter: inmytummylee
January 5, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I usually squat onto a bench. I find that it helps me to squat deeper than if I was just squatting into air.

I much prefer squats to lunges!

13 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 6, 2011 at 1:56 am

I hate watching people do squats at the gym with improper form =/

14 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun
Twitter: FoodFitnessFun
January 6, 2011 at 6:38 am

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Thanks for the comment over on my blog – your blog is awesome! What a coincidence that I can’t do squats and I come to your blog and you have a whole how-to up! Thanks! :-D

15 Natalie January 6, 2011 at 6:54 am

Great post! So many people do squats incorrectly and don’t reap any of the tush toning benefits :) My favorite lower-body exercise is a basic…walking lunges!

16 BostonRunner January 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm