Okay, I have a confession that I need to admit to everyone. Here it goes…. I rarely ever stretch after my workouts. Â That’s right, I said it out loud and you heard me right. I am sure many of you are shaking your heads in amazement and awe, while the other half of you are in disbelief. Now don’t get me wrong, I know that I should be stretching after every workout (especially the intense ones that I tend to do) but for whatever reason I always skip out at the end of my workouts without so much as a stretch for my little finger. But I am happy to say that I am turning over a new leaf (starting with my next workout tomorrow) and I will end each and every workout by doing a complete stretching program.
For those of you who are in this same boat and skip out on your stretches, Â here are several reasons why you should incorporate them into your workout. And the good news about all this: a little bit of a stretch goes a long way.
1. Moderate stretching can improve your overall energy.Â
2. Stretching increases blood flow to various parts of your body.
3. Stretching can improve muscular coordination.
4. Your joints will thank you because you will get them moving again and have a better range of motion.
5. Stretching can reduce muscle tension.
6. It makes you more flexible and helps muscles perform better.
7. Stretching will reduce muscle soreness and the likelihood of injury.
8. Stretching aids in stress management and better mental clarity.
9. Better overall posture will result from a stretching program.
10. Stretching promotes long, lean muscles.
I would love to hear your stretching stories, whether you hate them or love them; and your all time favorites stretches.
In the meantime, be fit!